Today's young people are interested in being global changemakers, and schools are increasingly called upon to develop tomorrow's global leaders. Students need exposure to life, leadership and relationship skills necessary to understand, connect with and operate in a complex, inter-connected world. This exposure must occur through up-to-date global content in the classroom and guided experiences beyond the classroom.
For students and school communities in the United States, Mothering Across Continents pursues our mission of "Adopting Dreams. Raising Tomorrow's Leaders." by providing enrichment experiences that empower youth to understand and address complex global issues that affect communities everywhere in the world. Students consider the comparative impact of these issues in their own backyards and in places as diverse as northern rural Haiti, South Sudan and Bangkok, Thailand. The experiences take place through an integrated framework of:
1) The Global Class℠, a classroom and co-curricular education program that provides teachers, students and school community partners with global education learning resources; and 2) the Any1Can℠ Project, an arts-based, global service learning initiative that encourages students to collaborate across schools to have a large impact on a social action project.
The Global Class is a comprehensive nonprofit global education program that offers:
- Integrated global issues-based education and professional development with student service learning
- Facilitated cross-school collaboration on an international service learning project
- Curriculua consistent with Common Core State Standards
- Recognition by Youth Service America/Global Youth Service Day
- Flexible program options depending on school goals and needs
- End-of-year public celebratory event
Participating Schools receive:
- Consulting, coaching, support beginning in September, culminating in April
- Interdisciplinary printed Resource Guide covering seven global issues: Poverty, Water, Hunger, Environment, Peace/Conflict, Education/Literacy, Social Attitudes/Tolerance
- Core PD: "Globally Essential Standards: Connecting Seven Global Issues to Common Core and NC Essential Standards"
- Optional Two Additional Workshops from Four Topics: 1) Differentiated Global Education (ESL, EC, etc.); 2) Global Deep Dive Strategies; 3) Global Education as a Service Learning Platform; 4) Country Case Studies: Teaching "Other" in Appreciative Ways.
- Incorporation of Any1Can arts-based learning events/fundraiser for change project
To learn more about the Any1Can Project, the arts-based service learning initiative adjunct of The Global Class click here.